Brace's Mill corner of Stembrook and Castle Street. In the background is Dover Gas Works (behind the mill in the picture). Photo taken from top of St Marys Church, circa 1880. Also in the background is the Burlington Hotel on corner of Liverpool Street (now Townwall Street), and Woolcomber Street. From a glass lantern slide.
Bushy Ruff house, at bottom left corner with mill complex close by, adjoining the mill stream, c.1930s.
The large house near centre with ornamental gardens is Kearsney Court. The gardens are now part of Russell Gardens public park. The Alkham Valley road runs down the right hand corner.
Chitty's flour mill
The Charlton by Dover flour mill of Chitty's, once very prominent Kent millers, near the corner of Bridge Street at the junction of Frith Road and Maison Dieu Road, a spot known as Charlton Green. The bridge pictured in the foreground, built in 1828, spans the River Dour.
Buckland Corn mill
The two River by Dover mills are seen in this photograph. Lower Buckland Corn mill is seen at bottom left, facing Lower Street, River. To the right the large complex of Crabble Rag Mill, which is on the corner of Crabble Road part of which has recently been converted into homes. In the background is Crabble Hill and the railway to Dover Priory Station. Photo dates from the early 1900s.
Dover Town watermill
Dover Town watermill, before its demolition. The mill was close to what is now Townwall Street dual-carriageway and had a frontage to St James's Lane, which was off St James's Street. Date of photograph unknown..
Phipps paper mill
Phipps paper mill with its tall chimney, between Lower Street, River and Lewisham Road Dover, pictured about 1900, alongside the River Dour. On the right is St Peter and St Paul Church, River. A family is seen fishing on the left. The river is now part of the Kearsney Abbey Gardens.
Kingsford's Coombe Valley mill and brewery
Kingsford's Coombe Valley mill and brewery, Buckland by Dover. The original painting of this was presented to Kingsford Court flats when the flats were opened (probably 15 or more years ago), on the old site, by Lt.Col.Kingsford-Carson, now deceased. Painting is by well known Dover artist James Tucker who lived locally. Dover Museum has some of his other paintings of Dover scenes.