Farming

 

 

Old print Kentish turn-wrest plough  (ex John Boys book, 1796)

Old print Kentish turn-wrest plough (ex John Boys book, 1796)

 

 

Priory Farm in the 1850s - scan of original photograph printed from original Calotype paper negative.  Some of these have the 'autograph' of the photographer scratched onto the paper negative.

Priory Farm in the 1850s - scan of original photograph printed from original Calotype paper negative. Some of these have the 'autograph' of the photographer scratched onto the paper negative.

FREEHOLD FARM AND LANDS - To be sold by Auction on Tuesday 30th March instant at the Royal Oak Inn in Dovor at 2 o'clock in the afternoon ( subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced ) - All that FREEHOLD FARM called by the name of the WHITE GOOSE FARM; consisting of a Farmhouse, two Barns, Stables and other convenient outbuildings together with 205 and half acres of land, arable, meadow, pasture and woodland, more or less, with the timber thereon standing; the lands are situate lying and being in the several parishes of Hougham and Capel le Ferne in Kent; about 100 acres of the land in Cape-le-Ferne tythe free, and tythes are taken by the tenant of the farm of about 12-acres of land, in sundry occupations. - The premises are under lease to Mr Benjamin Friend, which expires at Michaelmas next 1802. The tenant will shew the premises.
Particulars may be known of Mr H. Kemp near St George's Place, Canterbury, where a map of the estate may be seen. NB. Land-Tax is redeemed. Canterbury, March 8th 1802.
(Kentish Gazette 9 March back page Col. 1 )

 

 

Farthingloe Farm, c. 1900

Farthingloe Farm, c. 1900

Westcliffe Farm near Dover
TO LET at Michaelmas next when the Lease of the present Tenant expires.
Consisting of a Good Farm House, requisite Buildings and 218 acres of productive arable and pasture land.The parochial Rates are low.
For particulars apply to COLEMAN & SON, Kearsney Court, where a Map of the Estate may be seen.
Kearsney Court near Dover, 28 May 1851 (Dover Telegraph 31.5.1851 p.1 )

 

 

Elms Farm, Elms Vale

Elms Farm, Elms Vale.

The Georgian style house on the right was once the home of Major Evison who, it is believed, ran a private school at one time. His property may once have been the farmhouse, while the other two cottages shown were for the principal staff. The farm is at the end of the road called Elms Vale Road, which branches off the Folkestone Road, Dover, at the old wrought iron bus shelter at the junction of the two roads.
A road running past the farm towards the left (not visible here) goes up the hill to Church Hougham.
Another road, turning off to the right up a hill just before the farm, goes to West Hougham.

 

 

Notice  (Dover Telegraph 5 September 1846)

Notice (Dover Telegraph 5 September 1846):

Buckland Farm - sale, on the premises:livestock, agricultural implements, fodder, straw,household furniture, dairy and brewing utensils (all listed),
the property of Mr Jno. Pierce, leaving business.