Front Cover of Graphic magazine,
March 1882 featuring
Sir Edwd WATKIN from 1919 engraving
Report on underwater tunnels (Dover Telegraph 14.2.1846 p.8 col.2)
Visit to the scene by M. de LESSEPS (Dover Standard July 8 1882 p.3 col.2
January 1876 From THE DOVER YEAR BOOK AND CALENDAR
"Under the Channel in a Tube"
In January Mr P.J. BISHOP published a pamphlet describing his plan for forming railway communication across the channel, by means of a large tube laid on the sea bottom.
The following is his description:-
'It consists in having two distinct tubes of cast iron, which are to be laid on the bed of the Channel, side by side. The route selected is from Dover to Cape Gruisnez, a distance of 20 and three-quarter miles, between which points the deepest sounding is 30 fathoms, and the steepest gradient 1 in 100. The whole length of the line is 21 and three-quarter miles, and the estimated cost is about one million sterling per mile for two distinct tubes. The tube will be 4 inches in thickness, and cast in lengths of five feet, which will be bolted together internally through flanges 12 inches deep, cast on the end of each length The tube will be lined with brickwork, in cement, 12 inches thick, and over this will be laid a lining of 5/8ths inch boiler plate iron, which will render the interior surface flush and even throughout, so that either the locomotive or pneumatic system can be employed. The weight of the section of the tube will be somewhat in excess of the weight of the water it will displace, so that it will remain quiescent upon the bed of the Channel.'"