THE CHARLTON TOLL GATES which barred London Road by the Falcon and Bridge Street “at the same point” were removed on 1st March 1855 when the mayor, WH Payn, bearing the mace and the town sergeant attended to witness the removal of the gates from their hinges on which they had hung for about 80 years. About the same time the gate house was removed and the entrance to Bridge Street improved. (R.E.H.)
NEW TURNPIKE ROAD from Dover through Deal to Sandwich – contract (Kentish Gazette Dec 12 1797 p.1)
TURNPIKE ROAD - Dover to Sandgate – notice of AGM of the Trustees. (Dover Telegraph 14.2.1846 p.1 col.2)
TURNPIKE ROAD - Dover to Sandgate – notice of meeting (Dover Telegraph 23 Jan 1847 p.8 col.1)
TURNPIKE TOLLS - to be let by auction (Dover Telegraph 17 Jul 1847 p.1 col.4)
"THE OLD TOLL GATE ON CASTLE HILL and John LINNET: There are few people now living who will remember the little cottage shown in this interesting photograph of old Dover, taken at least eighty years ago. It is of the toll gate at the top of Castle Hill, which was taken down about 1878. It stood on the ridge of the hill a little above the present turning to Deal, the old Turnpike road to Deal having turned rather sharply off the Guston road just beyond the brow of the hill. "One Dovorian who does remember the building is Mr George H. Hogbin, of Castle Street, who, at 91, is the town's oldest living freeman. The picture shows the toll gate fully open and behind that gate, says Mr Hogbin, was Prescott's Pond, on the site of which now stands the new Sergeants' Mess of Connaught Barracks. The pond was named after the Prescotts who for centuries lived and farmed in this area ..... "One of the last occupants of the toll house was a shepherd known as Mr "Cock" Linnett. Mr Hogbin went to school with one of his sons. Mr LINNET cared for sheep which grazed around the slopes. Later, he was a night watchman for the Corporation. A little further towards Deal, near the Duke of York's R.M. School, was another cottage with a well, where lived another shepherd, Mr CALCRAFT, whose flock grazed the downs behind the Castle.
"Another toll house, at Crabble Hill, was taken down about the same time, having been occupied for several years by a police constable, part of whose duty was to collect dues on coal brought into the town from Kearsney Station." (Dover Express 3 October 1980, with photo)
CASTLE HILL, NEW TURNPIKE: From Diary of Thomas PATTENDEN of Dover: "Sunday 24 June. 1798 This evening Mrs P. and Self walked up to the top of the Castle Hill New Road, and observed the Turnpike House was just built and the posts for the Gate put down. We met Mr Prall there, looked in his glass and saw the town of Calais. The evening was exceedingly fine and the sea quite calm. We came home and called at Mrs Nairnes for Miss Sandys and then we went together on the ropewalk to hear the Sussex band."