Dover College Chapel from postcard
Dover College Chapel
The Chapel at Dover College is one of three original Priory buildings still in use. It was constructed during the 12th Century and was for several hundred years the Priory’s guesthouse. After the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th Century the building was used as a barn and eventually fell into a state of considerable disrepair. Shortly after the College’s foundation in 1871, the building was renovated and consecrated as the chapel.
he chapel is used regularly by the College community both for short mid-week services and traditional Anglican Sunday services. Dover College has an Anglican foundation, but the College adopts an ecumenical approach to religious teaching. The chapel itself is a wonderful building, of exceptional character both inside and out.