Percy Court

Dover Society logo
Registered Charity No. 299954

Registered with the Civic Trust

founded in 1988

 

 

 

Percy S. COURT, Mayor of Dover, Alderman of Town Ward, Dover,
Dover Borough Magistrate  

(listed in PO Directory for Dover 1878)

 

   

 

 

Percy S. COURT, Mayor of Dover,

 

Percy S. COURT, Mayor of Dover, Alderman of Town Ward, Dover, Dover Borough Magistrate   

(listed in PO Directory for Dover 1878)

 

Percy S. COURT, 140 Snargate Street, Dover (PO Directory 1878, private residents)
Percy Simpson Court was born in Dover on 29 January 1832 and baptised at St Mary’s, on 22 February 1832.  He was educated at the Walmer Academy in Church Street, Sandwich, being there at the time of the 1841 Census (aged 9), along with his brother George.  He was to become a well known resident of the town of Dover, through the family wine business, as town mayor, and as commander of the 1st Cinque Ports Volunteer Artillery, with which he was associated for over 35 years.

     At the time of the 1851 Census, the 19-year-old Percy was living with his brother George at Oxenden Farm at Pedlinge, in the parish of Saltwood. The farmer there was Thomas Mount, farming 800 acres, and Percy was described as a pupil ‘agriculturist’.  This was not to become his profession since Percy was to join the family wine and spirit business, initially working alongside his elder brother, Stephen, until the latter’s untimely death in 1857.  He became a Freeman of Dover on 30 July 1863 and the same year he appears to have formally taken over as Manager of Court & Company.  On 15 October 1873, his sister-in-law, Elizabeth Court, assigned the goodwill of Court & Co., along with the leasehold messuages, lands and tenements used for the purposes of the business, to Percy and his nephew, Stephen Court, for the sum of £4011. They were initially to be co-partners, although the extent of Stephen’s

involvement with running the business is not clear.  On 11 October 1877, Percy and Stephen agreed to dissolve their partnership by mutual consent.  On 6 February 1878 a formal deed was issued by which Stephen agreed to “retire from the partnership”, thus allowing his youngest brother, Ernest Court, to go into co-partnership with Percy.   This remained the position until the failing business of Court and Company Ltd. was finally sold off in 1896, the year of Percy’s death.

Percy joined the corps of 1st Cinque Ports Volunteer Artillery at its initiation on 5 December 1859 and within a month was elected by the general body of men to be Second-Lieutenant.  The following year he was made up to Lieutenant within the expanding corps, as was his brother-in-law, William Henry Payn.  He was promoted to Captain Commandant on 7 November 1863, to Major on 26 April 1866, to Lieutenant-Colonel on 22 August 1872 and was Honorary Colonel of Volunteers, in command of the brigade, for the last 18 years of his life.  Several of his sons also followed him into the corps.