Dr.SIMON of Dover: succeeded in reversing image obtained by Daguerrian process of photography:
"GALVANO-ELECTROTYPE AND DAGUERREOTYPE
Most important reversal of M.Daguerre's process, called the Daguerreotype
Dr Simon, of this town, has just succeeded in reversing the image obtained by the Daguerrian process, which is known to reproduce the object from nature in a contrary sense, viz. for instance, the left tower of a castle would be the right, and the right the left on the drawing; which imperfection, however, can be obviated by parallel glasses - a new improvement in the Daguerreotype, by M. Lerebourg, of Parish.
"Dr Simon contrived a new Galvanic trough, which he calls, 'Simon's Galvano-electro-plastic Battery.' It is exceedingly portable and most effectual, and has by the galvano-electro-type discovery, re-obtained and fixed on a most beautifully polished surface of copper, the view of the Dover Castle, and reproduced in its right sense. This most beautiful and important discovery, happily does away with the dread inspired by a Patent, taken by the fortunate Daguerre himself, for England; For his discovery of the Daguerreotype, which effected so much, Dr Simon and others possessed of Daguerre's instrument, without the legal right of using it in England, for profit. This new and beautiful discovery will, no doubt, attract the attention of the lovers and admirers of science, and of the fine arts. The science is only in its infancy, and promises the happiest results. The idea, however, is not original with Dr Simon, who obtained his first hint by the extract of a memoir describing the first successful experiment of M. Demidoff, communicated by himself to M. Jacoby concerning the new art which he calls 'Galvano-plastic'. We are happy to hear that it is Dr Simon's intention, shortly, to favour us with an interesting lecture on the subject."
(from Dover Telegraph 9 May 1840 back page col.4)
and his death announcement:
Dr.J.P. SIMON aged 52. Notice of death at Tavistock Place, London. Late of Dover.
(Dover Telegraph 22 May 1847 p.8 col.4)